Copyrighted property. All images, writings, and dribble are mine (unless noted otherwise)...feel free to share them, but remember to give me due credit.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

We Are The Ones Laying The Track...

Recently I shared some thoughts with a person who I have counted as a friend.  I say that in the way I said it because it is what it is and if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and leaves you down, then it's a duck!  Anyway, I digress...so I shared some thoughts and I expressed that in some aspects of my life I thought that perhaps I was seeing a light at the end of the tunnel.  Their response was that of the proverbial warning, "...it might be the light of an oncoming train...", to which I replied that sometimes trains can take you to good places too.

I have thought a lot about this in recent days.  See, I have been feeling a bit down of late.  Partly because my pain level has for some reason, been off the scale, partly because of other things  in my life, and partly because of recent events where I have lost a friend and felt equal parts powerless to have stopped it and wondering if there was anything I should have done that might have prevented it. Regardless of the of the 'would of, could of, should of' factors, I have been quite sad...not depressed...but perhaps discouraged is a better description. Discouraged from within and also from without.

Anyway, what was I saying? Oh, yeah...trains...light...tunnels...thoughts...so it struck me interesting that today, the birthday of  one Oliver Wendell Holmes, I should be assuaged (in both meanings of the word) by some of his sage wisdom.  To list but a few:

 "Consciously or unconsciously we all strive to make the kind of a world we like."

"The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions."

"It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes life worth living."

Each of these struck a chord within me and set me to thinking again about the oncoming train analogy, but with the added thought that, even if there is an "oncoming train", are we not the ones laying the track that determines where and how said train will impact our lives?

Ok, granted, there are always going to be events and issues that are beyond our control. That said, I think that way too often we make decisions and choices that set our lives on a particular course, then we turn around, look at the aftermath of those decisions and choices and blame it on some uncontrollable engine of fate.  True, we cannot change the past, but we can change the course of our future.

Yes, we do have to live 'one day at a time', but if in that day by day life we lay tracks away from a possible destination, do we really have anyone to blame for the end result but ourselves?  All I can do is all I can do, but what you do is on you.  So, I will continue to feel what I feel and think what I think and want what I want with the hopes that my train will arrive at the station of my dreams.  If I end up there alone, then at least I will have arrived there by choice and not by the lack thereof.

What "world" are you striving for? What "exceptions" are you willing to make? What makes your life "worth living"? Great questions...but remember, we are the ones laying track, so let's go together.

2 comments:

Barbara Shallue said...

Very good points and wonderful food for thought. I agree we can only live one day at a time, but how true that our actions each day determine the direction of our track. Thanks for this post!

said...

Thanks Barb...so much has happened of late...

Post a Comment